Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Thoughts on Summer...



Yup.  It's that time of year again, and for THE VERY FIRST TIME in my 10 years of having kids, I don't want it to end.  That anxiety I wrote about back in June, you remember, that summertime "what to do with these crazy children" anxiety I was expecting to swallow me whole, proved to be a bunch of nonsense.  
We had fun.  Serious fun.  

My kids water skied for the first time, super successfully.  I water skied, for the second time in my adult life, successfully.  We went to concerts.  We played with our favorite families.  We completed our first serious road trip and are already planning our next.  Mr. C and my eldest climbed a mountain, a friggin' mountain!  And that's how I feel too.  I feel like I climbed a friggin' mountain this summer, hit the summit, took a deep breath and enjoyed the view.  Now that we have launched (no, cannonballed) Mr. C into his 40's, I am ready to join him there myself this fall.  I still remember every birthday I ever had as a kid at places like Davanni's and Cheap Skate and that weird hibachi place in Shelard Park.  And my favorite one of all- my 24th birthday when Mr. C took me to The Cabin for the very first time.  
Now I'm almost 40??  I certainly don't feel like it, but I'm looking forward to it, actually.  All that metaphorical mountain climbing I did this summer has prepared me, and I am ready to cross that line into a new place in my life.  

 I am sitting on the precipice of the Big 4-0 with my legs dangling, and it feels good.  My babies are getting older and will all be in school- their needs are different, they need me differently, and I believe it will be important for them to see me need something for myself.  What that will eventually be, I don't know yet, but I feel like I am looking out on a vista of possibilities.



Oh, and by the way, did you vote today? 
 If not, vote here.  And do it every day until September 9th.  
Every.  Single.  Day.

Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment