Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Deck the Halls

Canadian House and Garden


Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart

Country Living

Country Living

Country Living

Elle Decor

When it comes to holiday decorating, less is definitely more. Spruce, fir, magnolia leaves, berries, amaryllis, maybe some dried hydrangeas, birch logs (the total rage this season for holiday decor, by the way), you get it. Natural, earthy, warm and welcoming.

So please, celebrate the season with subtlety....
Just say no to colored lights, tinsel (sorry my dearest son Flynn- there will be no red tinsel on our tree this year), that reindeer on your lawn that moves it's neck up and down to simulate grazing, and I must declare an embargo on those huge blow-up snow globes.
No. No. And big time, No.

Christmas is really my season to deck the halls of my home, and Lee takes tree trimming very seriously. Actually, a little too seriously. As I go about my business of putting up wreathes and draping garlands, he is meticulously hanging ornaments for "optimal viewing and symmetry". I kid you not. It is very, very important to him, this tree trimming thing. But then again, shouldn't it be? The entire ritual of holiday decorating is sacred, as far as I am concerned. Go slow. Enjoy the process. Savor it. Make it memorable, and beautiful. Just please...no tinsel.




















No comments:

Post a Comment