Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reflections on Flynn



Band or choir?  Latin, French, Chinese or Spanish?  I can't believe that I am registering my first born son for Middle School.  Where have the last 10 1/2 years gone?  It is no cliche to say that sometimes "the days feel long but the years fly by."  Indeed.  




My quiet, contemplative, tentative child has grown into a handsome, confident, funny, interesting individual who has taught me not only how to organize my iTunes library and work my iPhone, but how to cook the perfect omelet, throw a spiral, ski a black diamond with confidence (sort of), enjoy a road trip, savor a good hike, swim in the sunshine and appreciate nature.  



I have watched my little "bug whisperer" invite butterflies to land on his fingers, trap lizards with his bare hands, stroke an injured sea turtle in the sea, tame a gopher from our backyard in California (no joke), and hold bumblebees in the palm of his hand.  He is a kid with a quiet charisma that does not go unnoticed, although sometimes I think he wishes that it would.  He likes to fly under the radar, but kiddo I hate to tell you, your smile gets you noticed even when you have no words to say.  



I know how unbelievably excited you are to move forward to your new school next year. You can hardly wait- and not just for the endless cafeteria choices- I see it in your eyes and in your gestures when you talk about what lies ahead.  There is such a genuine desire to blast off into this new unknown and for that I am so proud of you.  




Don't hold back; continue to embrace and enjoy your experiences every single day and I will continue to cherish being able to observe your joy.  




Go get 'em, sweet child of mine.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment