Monday, April 25, 2011

The Voice

My friend, singer and songwriter Tim Mahoney has been a regular star on the Minnesota music scene for at least the past fifteen years, but I think he got his real start when he played my high school graduation party in my backyard. Yeah, yeah, that was a long time ago, but it looks like after paying his dues, and paying his dues some more, my talented and determined friend might finally get his big break.

Minnesota hometown favorite, Tim Mahoney

The Voice (I swear I am not getting any kickbacks from NBC) which airs Tuesday, April 26th on NBC will feature Tim as one of it's front runners.  The show has Christina Aguillera, Adam Levine of Maroon 5, Cee Lo Green and Blake Shelton blindly listening to contestants and choosing them solely by their voice.  Compelling concept, but I must argue that a star singer needs to have the full package in order to succeed.  Good looks help (which makes for a good argument when it comes to Ke$ha's success.  yikes!), stage presence is a must, and of course, the obvious is the power of the pipes, ya gotta have the pipes or you are going nowhere.  Fast. 
 I believe the combo factor is the key to success and I think Tim has what it takes.  He is not only an energetic, fantastic singer with a powerful, earthy voice, but
Tim is a seriously talented guitar and piano player.  Mix it all together with hip fashion sense, boyish good lucks, and media savvy,  (not to mention, the ah, "confidence" shall we say, that it takes to succeed in the music industry), and Tim is the perfect package. 

I am going to ignore the teaser comment from Adam Levine to Tim that has been airing for the last week, "umm, things are going to get awkward for a minute- I thought you were a chick."  Not sure if any of you have ever seen Maroon 5 perform live, but let's just say Mr. Levine has a certain prancy/dancy style goin' on up on the stage that makes me think he should not be judging Tim's masculinity.   

Watch Tim Tuesday night on NBC at 8pm
Minnesota will be rooting for our hometown boy on Tuesday night. 
 "C'mon!" 
Ask Tim what that means...I haven't a clue.


No comments:

Post a Comment