Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I am Mommy, hear me roar...

No, not really. I am not one of those Moms. And luckily I don't know too many, even here in what some believe to be competitive little Edina.

I am currently reading this controversial piece of "literature", The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, and this lady is not only insane, but insecure, and in spite of all her Ivy League degrees, pretty damn ignorant. I feel bad for author Amy Chua. Really I do. Her girls seem like pretty cool kids and all she wants to do is "drill" them on violin and piano for hours on a Saturday morning depriving them of food, water, and a toilet. Too bad she missed out on the massive Nerf war our family had in our pajamas last weekend, or the dance party that broke out after dinner last Tuesday. I know we should have been at hockey practice (we skipped), and we were supposed to be memorizing multiplication tables (I hate math), but sometimes ya just gotta say, "screw it". Our kids have so much responsibility, homework, and pressure these days that a little good old fashioned fun seems to be a dying past time. Well, to quote Amy Chua,
"Not on my watch."


This excerpt from The Huffington Post seems to be a little more in sync with our parenting philosophy in the Codding household-

1. Watching a little crappy television after school is a good thing.
2. You get the kid you get. It's not you. Do your best with what you have.
3. My personal favorite- It's every parent's obligation to teach their children that no one likes an asshole.
4. Every child who enters our house is a welcome guest.
5. Terrible parents can have wonderful children. And vice versa.
6. On the truly rare occasion your child needs defending, do it. Carefully.
7. The quality of a seven-year-old's day is just as important as that of a 37-year-old. Childhood is not training for adulthood. It's childhood.
8. My children are the most extraordinary and important creatures on earth. They are beyond beautiful. I love them more than words can ever express. This is my private secret. It's also the private secret of every parent I meet.
9. Most parents are doing the very best job they can under often challenging circumstances. Be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment