Saturday, November 13, 2010

Introducing a Few of my Favorite Things

Welcome!

I thought a great way kick off this little project would be to introduce myself with a few of my favorite things. Come in, look around, and most of all, enjoy!

1. I think it would be appropriate to start with one of my favorite topics- Interiors!

As far as designers are concerned, there are many I adore. Kathryn M. Ireland, Suzanne Rheinstein, Tobi Fairley, Miles Redd, Katie Ridder, Phoebe Howard, Victoria Hagan, I could go on and on, but the genius that tops my list is Michael S. Smith. He is traditional, elegant, and luxurious without being over the top. Michael and I have a mutual love affair with color and texture which is one of the reasons why I adore his work. He is a regular in Elle Decor (another fave), which once a month I devour about an hour after it hits my mailbox.

2. Tory Burch. Simply put, she is a true tastemaker and an inspiration. Not only because she has the most fabulous New York City apartment, or is a ridiculously talented designer, but she is a dedicated philanthropist championing women's causes. Make sure you check out her gorgeous website and blog.

3. Carmel Beach, California. Far and away the most spectacular beach on the West Coast. Enjoy the chilly morning air with coffee, then watch the fog burn off to reveal Pebble Beach to the north and Point Lobos to the south. Come back for sunset to build a fire and enjoy a bottle of wine, both of which are sanctioned (and encouraged!) on this stretch of white, sandy California beach.


4.Dave Matthews Band. Not only are Dave and his band the hottest ticket in town and fantastically talented songwriters, but Dave himself is actually a vintner and organic farmer in Virginia. Named after one of his signature songs, Best of What's Around, the farm produces vegetables, medicinal herbs (Dave's wife Ashley is a homeopathic doctor), eggs, and cheeses. I wish I lived in Virginia so that I could be a member of his CSA! His small production winery, Blenheim Vineyards, is producing some killer stuff if you can get your hands on it.

5. John Derian. I never knew the art of decoupage could be so cool, and so beautiful. Artist John Derian is creating some of the most incredibly gorgeous decorative plates and paper weights, along with a limited collection of furniture and housewares. His brilliant designs and colors are always striking, especially when grouped and displayed as wall hangings. The largest collection outside of his New York shop is located right here in town at Ampersand in The Galleria.

6. Everyone needs a good psychic, right? Suzanne Krupp is THE go to lady for all the things you might care to know about your past, present, or future. She does readings over the phone (if you can get past her barking dogs in the background) so you need not be a local to experience her unbelievable psychic abilities. Call her, if you dare.

7. If you're like me and you love a good G&T in the summer and a nice dry gin martini anytime of the year, you know it must be made with Hendrick's Gin. Smooth yet crisp, this gin is it with it's subtle juniper notes and cool finish. For a thoroughly relaxing evening, pour yourself a Hendrick's martini and turn on The Real Housewives of Wherever. I will take any city, but prefer the gals from New York City. Get your Hendrick's locally at France 44 and your Housewives on Bravo.

8. The Minneapolis dining scene has been on the rise for the last few years, and Piccolo is one of the clear reasons as to why. This tiny spot on Bryant Avenue is turning out some of the most creative, flavorful, and focused food I have seen outside of San Francisco or New York. On a recent trip we tasted every dish on the menu. I guarantee you will not be disappointed, and will be left dreaming of the tempura fried fresh figs and the mortadella agnoletti. Doug Flicker is the hot local chef to keep your eye on.

9. Target and TJ Maxx. Whether you need groceries, diapers, cough medicine, cashmere gloves or a Prada handbag, these two spots have it all. Invaluable.
Can. Not. Live. Without.

10. My Canon Rebel XT digital camera. Heavy duty, yet simple enough for a totally non-technical novice like myself to turn out some great shots. Ask anyone that knows me and they will tell you my camera is always with me and I have been known to capture a great snap or two, which is certainly not due to my supreme photography skills, but rather the intuitive nature of my Rebel XT.

Cheers!

















































































































1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Kristin! Congrats on getting your blog up and running. Looking forward to reading many more entries!!!

    ReplyDelete