Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Corduroy




I know it's a little early in About Town to be getting personal, but please indulge me for a moment. Each weekend the Wall Street Journal puts out a very cool section titled, "Off Duty". In one word, it's fabulous. Every page is filled with tidbits about food, wine, fashion, decorating, etc...it's one of my new favorites. Anyway, last week WSJ declared that corduroy is back and it's cool!! Why does this excite me so? Well let me tell you....

Back when I met my darling husband at the tender age of 23, he was wearing corduroy, lots of corduroy. Pants, vests (gasp!), jackets, you name it, he wore it. And continued to wear all things corduroy. And still does. His friends used to say that he dressed like a 50 year old man when he was in his early 20's and my sweet hubby always said he didn't care. He loved his corduroy, his tassel loafers, his pleated pants, and his Eddie Bauer sweaters. Oh, and did I mention he smoked a pipe in college? So when we met and began to date I attempted to mold my sartorial little Sherlock Holmes of a boyfriend into the hip San Francisco wine sales man that he was. But no...he wanted nothing to do with my influence and continued to be quite content in all of his soft, wide wale glory, telling us "hipsters" that corduroy will definitely make it's comeback. Someday. And that justice would finally be served. And I bet if you ask him, this corduroy lover that became my husband in spite of his fashion sense, he will tell you that corduroy was never out.

Well Lee, today we all stand corrected as your day has finally come and the WSJ has declared corduroy one of the coolest trends of the season. You win, my love. Put on your forest green cords and strut your stuff like the peacock you are. You always wore it proudly, but now there is no need to defend yourself any longer. Your fashion choice is legit. And you look as adorable as the day I met you. In your corduroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment